Ive tried this before by building an sql query as a string then
putting it in a direct DBMS.

We hit problems though when the string got too long, our DB didn't
accept the query anymore.

So, if you go this way you might want to check the maximum length
query your DB supports and make sure that's enough space for your
worst case scenario, but yeah you can deffinately do this (: