Hello Steve,

my best regards from Germany

Daniel Richardy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stephen Smith
  To: witango-talk@witango.com
  Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:45 AM
  Subject: Witango-Talk: Comments

  For those of you that don't know me, I may possibly be the person with the
longest history with Witango/Tango that is still currently reading the list. If
I don't have the most seniority here, I am in the top 2 or 3.

  I started as the first official Tango Technical Support person in November of
1995, thirteen years ago next month (anyone superstitious?). It was Tango 1.0
for the Mac only. It would only connect to Butler, and that was through
Butler's native connectivity. ODBC and the Windows version would not come until
the spring of 1996. In my collection, I still have a set of the original Butler
install floppies that included Tango 1.0.

  I was with EveryWare then Pervasive in a variety of roles until the
announcement in June of 2000. I worked for another company after that, then
launched Oakbridge in late 2001 but continued to use the product. In fact my
first reaction when we were given the news by Pervasive wasn't that I was out
of a job, it was that I was losing the development tool that I had come to rely
on. I was grateful that With picked it up. During my time with
EveryWare/Pervasive, I was support, a sales engineer, support again, alternate
trainer (I helped create the original training course with Mike Young), and
finally Professional Services. For the almost 5 years, I lived and breathed
Tango. I was also the "list Mom" for the original Tango Talk for a number of
years.

  I haven't posted to the list in months. I have done nothing in Witango for at
least a year now, having switched my focus to consulting on Daylite, and
developing solutions using FileMaker. I have continued to follow the list as my
own site is still running under Tango 2000 and I do still receive a couple of
calls per year from orphaned users who in most cases have inherited a solution
from someone else in their organization. I'd love to get back into Witango
Development but...

  In my opinion, the product is in almost the same state as WebObjects was a
couple of years ago, when it still required licensing fees. It's not dead. It's
worse, it is in limbo.

  It would be very difficult to objectively spend any money on new Witango
licenses, either the current version or a new version, given the current lack
of any news and failed promises. I feel both sympathy and anger towards With.
Sympathy because if most of the people added up what they have spent in the
form of sales revenue, (that has gone to With since 2001), it is probably not
enough to support one person for a year. I have bought one developer license,
and that was when I was a reseller purchasing through a distributor. A few
hundred bucks total. I am sure that some of you have spent a few thousand on
server licenses, etc. but I would be very surprised if the total sales made to
all of the members of the list amounted to $100K.

  Yes we have been a very vocal group but how many have opened up our wallets
and if so, was it enough to allow the company to earn a profit. But...

  This is where the anger comes in. I have asked repeatedly for at least a year
about version 6 because I don't want to spend money on the current version,
only to see a new version come out that required upgrade fees. I'm quite
prepared (or at least I was) to spend money to upgrade both my Development
Studio and my Server but I'm not going to spend money now, only to be told that
there is a new version 6 months later. Sorry but it is just common sense from a
business perspective. So I wait, and wait, and wait. I'm fortunate, I don't
need to change anything, but I'd like to.

  My gut feel is that With is now in way over their head. My guess is that
there is little if any Witango license revenue coming in. Which brings back the
sympathy side, how can a company be expected to continue to develop a product
that is not making any money? But the anger side says how can they expect to
sell any product when they keep their customers in the dark?

  I expect that this discussion will die down over the next few days or weeks,
then start back up again in 3-4 months.

  Steve Smith

  Oakbridge Information Solutions
  Oakville Office:         (416) 628-0793