Yes, but of the client has paid you a portion, say 1/3 or half, then it is
100% illegal to have any kind of expiration in the code. If that were to end
up in court, you would have to pay back the 1/3 or ½ payment to the customer
if they asked for it. Your agreements have to be very detailed and explicit
to the letter to get away with this. If the client paid you 1/3 or half then
you can put an expiry on half or 2/3 of the code but the ½ or 1/3 that was
paid for must be working with no expiry. This is usually defined in the
milestones.

Another interesting tidbit is it is illegal to cut someone’s website and
email hosting services unless they are 90 days without payment and you have
sent a written notice (email doesn’t count) either delivered by mail or by
hand to the client requesting payment along with a statement of the account
and amount owing. If the mail is returned undeliverable you must retain the
returned envelope unopened and still wait until the 90 days are up before
cutting service.

LogoSig

Rick Sanders

Webenergy