I really never liked the fact that they used the term "Open Source". If you look back at the updates from phil, it was not going to be open source. It was still paid software, where if you agreed to the restrictions, you could download the source and modify it yourself and then submit back to witango. So it still costs money, you still pay for it, but you can modify the code, and if they like it, they own the modification and then sell it to others. So its not Open Source. Its a way for them to try to have unpaid developers.

From Phil

New Licensing
Once the beta testing has been completed and version 6 goes into release, the source code for both the server and studio will be open sourced under its own license. Witango will continue to be a commercial product and a license will need to be purchased. There will be 3 editions of the Server:

The Lite edition - no change to current license conditions
The Developer edition - no change to current license conditions.
The Professional edition - single machine license, with no limitation on number of processes or CPUs.

--

Robert Garcia
President - BigHead Technology