I used to use witango pretty successfully with FTP, but I was using a special
FTP server that came with a com object that worked with witango. It was
TitanFTP. Another way, is just working with command line tools. Once you get it
working, you can make an ftp class with chdir, ls, put, get routines, etc.

Thumbnails are going to be a b*tch if you are going to try to to make the thumb
represent the content. I would say this is probably NOT doable unless you have
an FTP server that does this for you, and you have a webservice to call. If it
doesn't, you would have to traverse the site, cache your own thumbs on a
regular basis, very prohibitive.

A simple way of doing thumbs, is use OS X or windows thumbnails for the TYPES
of file that it is. So you just check if its extension is JPG, and use a thumb
for that, PDF, you get the idea. Then have a generic FILE thumbnail for all
else, and over time you can build up how many extensions you recognize.

Good luck!

--

Robert Garcia
President - BigHead Technology