Koen:

I solved this problem by restructuring my layout code, and using
WContainerWidget::setOverflow().   See my message of August 14, 2013 for an
example. Using a WScrollArea for the entire window seemed to break the
operation of an inner scrollbar.

At the risk of repeating myself, having more examples for layouts and a
tutorial explaining "Best Practices for Wt Layout" would really help.  At
present, I find myself searching the mail archives for people who have solved a
similar problem, and mimicking their code.