Darrell:

Thanks for the tip, but this is what I'm doing now that's not working in my
environment.

Wim:

Thanks for the tips.  Apparently, there's lots of buzz about this behavior
of OpenSSL, particularly about $SSL_CERT_FILE not being used.  I have also
encountered a problem in Wt where setSslVerifyPath comes up unresolved when
I tried to test that.

Should I assume that if $SSL_CERT_FILE and/or $SSL_CERT_DIR are being
properly set (and used) in OpenSSL, I should not have to call these
functions at the Wt level?

I'll look into your suggestions and get back to you on what I find.  It will
probably take a day or two.

Best,

        -dan