Hello,

Excuse me if this belongs on the user list, however I felt this was less
of a WiX usage question and more of a MSI/MSP internals one.

I've been maintaining a patch family that has gotten relatively large;
as of the last build it now encompasses both QFE's and minor upgrades.

Attempting to create a *.msp via the SDK tools results in the "...patch
contains multiple transform sets and is a mixture of QFE, minor, and/or
major upgrades...".

That's fine; there certainly are multiple transform sets. I still wanted
to be able to handle all of the target images with a single patch,
though. After looking at my patchwiz.dll logs for a bit, I noticed there
was a "AllowDualPatch" property with a value of 0 being reported. That
sounded very useful...

The MSDN makes no mention of the AllowDualPatch property in the *.pcp
schema, and if you google the term you will get a humorous amount of
results. Basically, it seems to be something that has never had any
information posted regarding it. Regardless of this, I inserted the
property (with a value of 1) into the *.pcp (Property table
specifically) via Orca, tried building the patch again, and it worked!

So, two questions:

1)      Does anyone know the story behind that property? Seems very
useful, so I wonder why it is never mentioned in any documentation.
Perhaps it's incredibly dangerous?

2)      Would it be possible to have this property settable from WiX in
the future? Is there a way to define an arbitrary property in a *.pcp
from WiX already?

Thanks,

Matt Weber

Computer Engineer