> From: Derek Cicerone [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> This is a good chance for us to all get on the same page.  Who on the
> PowerShell team is saying to use the Installer classes?  (Or
> if this is from
> some MSDN docs, please send us the link.)

Here's a link to the documentation on registering a new Cmdlet:

http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms714644.aspx

It only talks about using the Installer based PSSnapin class.  It seems
to be aimed at in-house developers rather than  professional, commercial
installers.  In previous versions of PowerShell/Monad (before PSSnapin),
the documentation described the registry keys that had to be created for
a Cmdlet but, that seems to be missing now.  I'm not sure but I think
that the PSSnapin class just creates the right registry entries which
points out a potential advantage of Installer based classes,  I don't
need to know what PSSnapin does, the PowerShell team decides what needs
to happen and they write the code that makes it happen.  I just have to
declaratively describe my Cmdlet, which is exactly what the sample code
in that link does.

Having real WiX extensions to support all the things supported by
Installer classes would be great but, it would also be nice to have
syntax in a <Component> that points to an assembly and Installer class
and have WiX do the right stuff so that the Installer's Install,
Uninstall, Rollback, etc methods are called at the right times.