I can't reproduce this with build 3.0.2128.0, running a WixCop-converted
version of the tutorial's SampleWixUI.wxs (slightly modified to prevent
complaints about a ShortName being supplied for a Directory when the
Name was actually 8.3 compatible, and to advertise the shortcuts to
prevent ICE43 and ICE57 validation failure).

To test this configuration, grab the SampleWixUI.wxs project from
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/download.php?file=samplewixui.zip&type=a
pplication/zip and compile the attached file as follows:

candle -ext WixUIExtension "Copy of SampleWixUI.wxs"

light -ext WixUIExtension -cultures:en-US -sice:ICE64 "Copy of
SampleWixUI.wixobj"

(I'm suppressing ICE64 because it complains that ProgramMenuDir is in
the user profile but not in the RemoveFile table, which it considers an
error and therefore won't generate the MSI. The sample should probably
have a RemoveFolder element under the MainExecutable and Manual
components.)

--
Mike Dimmick