Hi.
I am trying to convert our work in InstallShield to Wix. Unfortunately
The InstallShield generated msi file is buggy (what else did you
expect).

using dark.exe (from Wix v2) gives me these nice warnings:
dark.exe : warning DARK1024 : Action 'RegisterTypeLibraries' in sequence
'AdvtExecuteSequence' is not a custom action, dialog, supported standard
action, or known special action so this action is being left out.
dark.exe : warning DARK1048 : The Typelib table entry with Id
'{C47EA90F-56D1-11D5-B159-00D0B7BA7544}' could have an incorrect version of
'256.0'.  InstallShield has a bug relating to the Typelib Version column: it
will incorrectly set the value '65536' in to represent version '1.0'.  However,
this number actually corresponds to version '256.0'.  This bug will not affect
the typelib version that is registered during installation, however, it will
prevent the Windows Installer from correctly identifying whether a typelib is
already installed and lead to unnecessary reinstallations of the typelib.

I am very satisfied with this information. However If I use dark.exe
(from V3), I get another error and crash:

dark.exe : error DARK0001 : Cannot set column 'KeyColumn' with value 0 because
it is less than the minimum allowed value for this column, 1.

Exception Type: System.InvalidOperationException

Stack Trace:
   ved
Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.ColumnDefinition.ValidateValue(Object value)
   ved Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Unbinder.UnbindDatabase(String
databaseFile, Database database, OutputType outputType, String exportBasePath)
   ved Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Unbinder.UnbindDatabase(String
databaseFile, OutputType outputType, String exportBasePath)
   ved Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Unbinder.Unbind(String file,
OutputType outputType, String exportBasePath)
   ved Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.Dark.Run(String[] args)

I would really love to continue to see the warnings generated in V2 of
dark. Wrt. the stack-trace that dark generates in V3, it should be
considered as a bug-report.

Jarl

--
Jarl Friis