I spoke too soon as I cant get this work... here is the syntax I am
using:

1.       For the install directory, I am using this: <Directory
Id="PublicFolder" Name="PubPic" LongName="PublicPicturesDir" >

2.       For the custom action I am using this:  <CustomAction
Id="GetPublicPicturesFolder" Property="PublicPicturesDir"
Value="[%public%]\Pictures" />

3.       For the install sequence I am using this: <Custom
Action="GetPublicPicturesFolder" After="CostFinalize" />

What I see, is the "property" is set to \pictures at install time.. the
[%public%] is lost completely. Also orca doesn't show the dir in the
propertys section at all.

Do I need to further define the property some how?