*From:* TibTam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*Sent:* Thursday, December 07, 2006 10:21
*To:* Rob Mensching
*Cc:* wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
*Subject:* Re: [WiX-users] memory usage

off topic: Sorry, i pressed Reply instaed of Reply All...

on:
You are right, light uses lot of memory. About 300-350 MB normally, but some said that on his machine it uses more than 500 MB. This sounds a bit strange to me, because he uses the same files and method to create the msi. Is this posibble?

But out bigger problem is the CPU usage, what is made by candle.exe. Light uses about the same memory size that candle uses(bit more), but light does not use the CPU at 100% for all the time. Could you please help me to understand why candle uses the CPU at 100% for long minutes? (10-15-20 mins, depending on the machine) And what can we do to reduce this? (I mean to reduce the time while candle uses the CPU.)

If i'll have time, i'll check the code for optimization, but i can't promise anything. :)
Thanks
Tamas

Rob Mensching wrote:

Please, keep the mailing list on all replies.

I assume all your seeing the memory hit in the linker (light.exe), right? I haven't checked the memory usage in a while but your project is very large so that might be a very reasonable number right now. I don't think Office, VS, or SQL complain about the memory usage for their products because they probably all have at least a GB in all the machines and I'm not sure you'd immediately notice how much memory is being used.

That said, if you wanted to profile the WiX toolset and found places where we could optimize our memory usage, that'd be really cool.