While its not the stupid error you pointed out, it was the result of
another stupid error... I think.  I'm still not good with the VS
environment.

It turns out, for whatever reason, I had been specifying msvcrtd.lib as
an additional dependency.  My interpretation is that it made the linker
dynamically link to that instead of the correct static library.

Adjusting my additional dependency list looked promising.  It caused my
dll to increase in size (seems good) and caused the Dependency Walker to
show the dependency had gone away (also good.)

However, in a throwback to days I thought I had left in my wake, the
installer now bails when trying to access the dll with the handy failed
to execute error...  Dependency Walker isn't throwing up any
(noteworthy) red flags this time around, so I might be stuck
experimenting with build settings some more.