I'm trying to think through this installer I'm working on again, and
reconsidering how merge modules may be able to work for my situation. If
I store the GUIDs properly, then multiple third parties who distribute
my module will properly increase the ref count for the components. When
all third parties remove their software, the file is removed.

As I deploy new versions of my merge module, and new third parties
include them, I may be removing and adding new files. These would result
in the components being removed and the ref count being decreased,
correct? In which case, upgrading a third party from library Version A
to library Version B, might result in the removal of some files from
Version A.

I think the one remaining piece is figuring how to "not install" a set
of components in a merge module based on the existing of a version
number set someplace (perhaps the registry) which is > a version known
by the merge module. What sort of abilities of WiX could I use to
accomplish this? Are there some sort of conditions I can apply to each
Component that could implement this check?

I'm also having a completely hard time understanding the idea of the
"sequence". Where does my merge module fit into this?