http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/installlevel.asp

I went here and read up about the install level stuff.  So if everything has
an install level of 1, everything will install all the time.  If I want
things to install on complete and not typical I have to set their install
level to greater than 3 b/c typical install has level 3.  So I did this and
when I select typical, it still gives me the 2753 error, and if I select
complete it tries to install everything, no error 2753 but I get some other
weird installer errors.

Here's some of my code...The component id matches the comonent ref id and
the filekey matches the file id

<Component Id="dotnetfx.exe" Guid="{3AF116C7-E703-4F4D-B7BC-B9D4C0E0F093}">
                <File Id="dotnetfxexe" Name="dotnetfx.exe" KeyPath="yes"
Source="C:\tfs\ChannelBox\prereq\dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe" />
</Component>

<Feature Id='dotnetfx' Title='Microsoft .NET Framework' Level="4">
        <ComponentRef Id="dotnetfx.exe" />
</Feature>

<CustomAction
                Id="DotNetInstall"