In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    AFlood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:

> I need one of my features to be installed only if the user has DirectX 8 or
> better installed. Does anyone know if a property exists that could be used
> to check this in a condition element?

There's no specific property for this; however you can use the
DirectSetup API and write a custom action that identifies the version
installed.  This will be sufficient for testing DirectX 8 or better
(in version 9 there are additional DLLs that have to be checked for
separately).  I cover how to use the DirectSetup API to determine the
runtime version in my chapter on application installation:
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/download/24-Installation%20and%20Setup.pdf>

Additionally, I have coded a setup that has custom action support for
updating the DirectX runtime that you might find useful.  Its bundled
into the installer for my samples -- which of course includes the
sample code for the installer custom actions itself.  You can get that
code here:
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/download/Direct3DGraphicsPipeline.2006.35.zip>

I've also written a white paper on the mechanism I use to update the
DirectX runtime with the minimal amount of payload in the install --
if the user doesn't need to update the runtime, then the payload for
updating the runtime isn't downloaded.  The custom action determines
what's needed on the machine based on the needs of the application and
then downloads the necessary DirectSetup payload from a website based
on what's needed.  The white paper is here:
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/d3d/installer.html>

Feel free to ask questions about any of this on the list and I'll do
my best to answer.