Thank you for the reply.  I have removed the OnlyDetect attribute from
the UpgradeVersion element.  When moving from one version to the next, I
perform the following changes:

*       Product Version number
*       Product GUID
*       Package GUID

All other GUID's remain unchanged.

Based on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870714, I made the "later"
scheduling of RemoveExistingProducts be after InstallFinalize in the
InstallExecuteSequence.  According to
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372038.aspx, InstallFinalize
appears by default to be the last action in the InstallExecuteSequence.

After implementing those described changes, the generated MSI can both
upgrade an existing installation (while preserving existing data and not
firing the uninstall actions) as well as load a new install; however,
multiple entries are still generated in Add or Remove Programs.

I have attached the updated wxs file.  Have I missed something, or is
there a better time to schedule the RemoveExistingProducts action?

Thank you,

Matthew