I am supposed to create a MSI package using WiX that can detect whether the
computer it's on has 32-bit or 64-bit architecture, and install different
files for each. I have browsed Nabble and found replies that say making a
single installer that does this is impossible, such as these:

http://www.nabble.com/32-and-64-bit-installer-in-one-tf2635209.html
http://www.nabble.com/64-bit-newbie-question-tf3979370.html

However my boss is not satisfied with this explanation and wants a detailed
technical explanation of why WiX or Windows Installer cannot do this. Could
any of you give this explanation or perhaps suggest an alternative that I
could do? Any links to outside sources would be great, since I suspect my
boss doesn't trust Nabble much. Thanks in advance for your help.