Rob Mensching-5 wrote:

> I'm admittedly hardcore about this but IMHO custom actions should be
> native code DLLs that have as few dependencies as physically possible
> (certainly should have no dependency on WTL).  Statically linking the
> CRT then use as few DLLs from the system provides the highest
> probability that the code will work in the most number of environments.

Agreed, although I think that Aris was just giving his WTL app as an example
of static linking seeming not to work properly, as opposed to actually using
WTL within a CA (off the top my head, I can't think when you'd want to do
this). It's OT but wrt your WTL prob Aris, might you have missed some other
dependency? (Depends.exe v. handy here).

Aris Green-2 wrote:

> Try embedding the other DLL as a custom resource using the .rc file.
> Extract the DLL first thing when the CA is called.  Use delayload linker
> option or
> LoadLibrary to call the function in the extracted DLL.  I've done this
> before.

Not what I was looking for, but thanks for the tip Aris: I hadn't considered
this approach.