Once again I am struggling badly with wix.

I have a file

 <File Id="File_ClientExe" Name="StrawberryFields.exe"
Source="$(var.ClientRoot)$(var.ClientExeName)" Checksum="no" ReadOnly="yes">

that I want to use as the target of a verb

  <ProgId Id="StrawberryFields.sbf" Description="!(loc.SampleDescStr2)">
          <Extension Id="sbf" ContentType="application/sbf">
            <Verb Id='open' Command='Open' TargetFile='[!File_ClientExe]'
Argument='"%1"' />
          </Extension>
        </ProgId>

What is wrong with my use of File_ClientExe?

Error   25      Unresolved reference to symbol 'File:[#File_ClientExe]' in
section
'Fragment:'.
D:\Home\Development\StrawberryFields\InstallationKit\StrawberryFieldsInstaller\Client.wxs
24      1       StrawberryFieldsInstaller

I have tried the usual sequence of '[!File_ClientExe]' '[#File_ClientExe]'
'[File_ClientExe]' '!File_ClientExe'

etc - which never works

Can someone please point me to the complete language syntax and scope rules

BTW in the documentation for Wix - it describes using Wix as a mind set
change - where your installer should be written in parallel with your
development.  I would say that the same goes for documentation.

I am afraid that to date the last couple of weeks of using Wix has been the
most depressing and frustrating experience in a quarter of a century of
coding.  The years of effort that have gone into this thing which should be
a poster child is totally let down by inadequate documentation, lack of
examples etc.

So as a word of advice - Stop all development now and work on the
documentation.  If all the words that have been typed into this forum had
been typed into a wiki the job would have been done long ago. As it is the
same people are repeating the same answers to the same questions to the
point that they cant be bothered providing answers that people can
understand.

Once you have an up to date and complete language definition and a full set
of examples - then by all means respond to queries with "Its in the Wix 3
chm" - but at the moment I've looked - and I cant find it - and if I can
find it I can't understand it.

Sorry about the venting.

Now can someone tell me how to refer to a file by its id