In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    Adam Majer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:

> Regarding the service now, I think the problem has a lot to do with the
> installation of stuff into the GAC (the recommended way of doing things
> after all). All that the service needs is the C runtime, nothing special
> here. But that is not available.

As Phil mentioned, an easy solution to this is to link to the C
runtime staticly and then *poof*, the problem goes away.

> <ServiceControl .... start="install"/>
>
> so, why have that?

Please note that I'm not suggesting that ServiceControl has no point,
or that there's never a need to control a service.  I'm simply saying
that most of the time a service exists to provide some functionality
and you want that functionality to be there regardless of whether or
not someone is logged into the machine.

ServiceControl does more than *start* services.  Plenty of times you
need to stop services before you upgrade or install things, otherwise
the service process keeps it loaded in memory and you can't update it
without rebooting.  IIS can hold onto your vdir, for instance.  For
your own services, you need to stop them before you can update them.
I've used ServiceControl to start services I've installed plenty of
times, but in this particular case (changes you need aren't done until
InstallFinalize or later), it isn't working, so I was saying why not
investigate if you can live without starting the service after you've
installed it.  Its a workaround.