Richard wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>     Adam Majer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:
>
>> Regarding the service now, I think the problem has a lot to do with the
>> installation of stuff into the GAC (the recommended way of doing things
>> after all). All that the service needs is the C runtime, nothing special
>> here. But that is not available.
>
> As Phil mentioned, an easy solution to this is to link to the C
> runtime staticly and then *poof*, the problem goes away.

Actually, that is not the 'easy' solution!

There are other dependencies (not assembies, just regular DLLs) and
those would have to reconfigurured and rebuilt.

> ServiceControl does more than *start* services.  Plenty of times you
> need to stop services before you upgrade or install things, otherwise
> the service process keeps it loaded in memory and you can't update it
> without rebooting.  IIS can hold onto your vdir, for instance.  For
> your own services, you need to stop them before you can update them.
> I've used ServiceControl to start services I've installed plenty of
> times, but in this particular case (changes you need aren't done until
> InstallFinalize or later), it isn't working, so I was saying why not
> investigate if you can live without starting the service after you've
> installed it.  Its a workaround.

I know this. My question was why have the start attribute of the
ServiceControl tag? Maybe a good feature for future release of WiX may
be a delayed start of services. That is, the service is started after
installation finalizes?

- Adam