Try running heat on a directory (not just a file) that contains all the assemblies you need to register.

Ben Reichelt wrote:
I am making an installer for an Outlook vb6 COM addin. The addin consists of 7 COM assemblies that need to be copied to the target machine and then have regsvr32 called on each assembly. I have read that calling out to regsvr32.exe from the msi is not recommended and instead you should manually create the registry keys needed for each assembly.

The problem is that when I run heat.exe on my main assembly, it only generates a <TypeLib> wix element, not everything that is needed to registry the assembly as an Outlook addin. When I manually run regsvr32 after installation, then the assembly is correctly added to Outlook. I can't locate all the steps necessary to property register an assembly as an Outlook addin, so I can't do it manually at this point.

I have scoured the internet looking for someone else who has done this, but I can't find anyone. Does anyone have experience in making Outlook (or Office) addin installers? Thanks