From: Calin Iaru
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 10:31 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: A tricky one

So, we rebranded some applications and the customers are about to install a new
msi package. And here's the problem:
 - if the customer did not have any previous versions installed, the MSI
package will go as planned.
 - if the customer did have a previous version, our installer will attempt an
upgrade. Bear in mind that the package may contain drivers and what we want is
for the drivers to be updated, the old files to be deleted and the new
rebranded files to be installed in their place. We cannot uninstall completely
the previous package because that would also uninstall the drivers. One problem
with uninstalling the drivers is that the new drivers get to be installed only
after a reboot or alternatively after a refresh of the Plug and Play device
tree.
<mail sent prematurely/>
Is there a way to uninstall some components while installing/refreshing others?
The drivers used to be unsigned and I bumped into a similar problem months ago.
Now, we will have signed the drivers, so we could install even without a
reboot. A complete uninstall followed by an install could fix it. Perhaps
selective refresh on some features with a remove/install on others cannot be
accomplished.