[inline]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Markus Kuehni
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:37 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Always change the product code?

Hi Alex

Thanks, this helps a lot!

Three follow-up questions (I'll go on to try-and-error that - but maybe you
know the answer straight away).

1. will UpdateVersion/ @MigrateFeatures="yes" schedule the MigrateFeatureStates
action automatically or do I need to manually schedule in
InstallExecuteSequence?
[Wix will schedule MigrateFeatureStates for you regardless of the value of
@MigrateFeatures.  That is easy to verify.  Just open your msi file with Orca
tool and see what actions are in the InstallExecuteSequence and
InstallUISequence tables.]

2. will MigrateFeatureStates also migrate the Feature/ @ConfigurableDirectory
or do I need to add RegistrySearch plumbing?
[My understanding is that migration process affects the installation state of
the feature only unless the same feature in another product is set to
INSTALLSTATE_ABSENT or INSTALLSTATE_ADVERTISED.  I would worry about migrating
features only if I share features in my product with other products.]

3. ist there an easy way to convert your "PreventDowngrading" to a warning (UI
only) instead of an error/abort?
[Instead of running custom action type 19 run custom action of your choice
which will show a message box.  If the user chooses to continue an
installation, return ERROR_SUCCESS/msiDoActionStatusSuccess.  To prevent
downgrading - return ERROR_INSTALL_USEREXIT/msiDoActionStatusUserExit.  Error
codes: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368072(VS.85).aspx and
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371254(VS.85).aspx]

Many thanks again,
Mark