Sorry, one last post for the night.  I noticed that my call to MakeSfxCA.exe is
failing with this exception:

  Searching for custom action entry points in ClassLibrary1.dll
    Loaded dependent assembly: ExternalAssemblies\Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsIn
staller.dll

  Error: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly
'Microsoft.D
eployment.Resources, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=36e4ce08b8
ecfb17' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition d
oes not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
File name: 'Microsoft.Deployment.Resources, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, Pu
blicKeyToken=36e4ce08b8ecfb17'

  I've looked at assemblies in wix-3binaries/msi and they have a different
public key token (ce35f76fcda82bad)  ... is this intentional or is something
wrong?