I'm ashamedly naive about a fairly core issue with WiX. Maybe you guys can
clear this up for me. As I write my installer I've been thinking of the
"source" files as those that I am installing, and the "target" as where they
will be on the machine on which the install is being run.

So right away I'm looking at the first directory element in my *.wxs file:

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the heck this even means. The
MSDN documetation for
SourceDir<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371857(VS.85).aspx>just
says, "The
*SourceDir* property is the root directory that contains the source cabinet
file or the source file tree of the installation package". Now since I never
create or see a cabinet file when running WiX I'm assuming that this is the
directory containing my MSI file when running the installation. But when I
run the installation it's set to drive C:\ weven though my MSI is on a
network share.

-Chris