Here is little sample on updating value of the attribute in App.config:

App.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="Key1" value=""/>
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

Wix code:

  <!-- Set value of Key1 -->
  <XmlConfig Id="SetKey1"
             Action="create"
             Node="value"
             ElementPath="//appSettings/[EMAIL PROTECTED]'Key1'[\]]"
             VerifyPath="//appSettings/[EMAIL PROTECTED]'Key1'[\]]"
             Name="value"
             Value="[INSTALLLOCATION]"
             File="[#AppConfig]"
             On="install"