From: Neil Enns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:01:30 PM
Subject: [WiX-users] Automating the inclusion of a mess of files

My application will wind up shipping with a ton of loose resource files on
disk*. We will have several items with the following well-defined structure:

MyFile1.foo
MyFile1_files
   \ 0
      \ somefile.txt
   \ 1
      \ somefile.txt
   \ 9
      \ somefile.txt

This is how the files live on disk as source, and how we need them to live on
disk on the target machine. As you can imagine, I have no desire to author the
WiX to install these suckers by hand, especially since they're going to change
relatively often between now and when we ship. I want to automate the process
somehow.

I started tonight by thinking a custom extension would do. My plan was to
create a new <MyFile> element that took the root .foo file, then would
automatically add all the necessary entries into the MSI for all the files and
subdirectories. I got a custom extension up and running pretty quickly, but
when it came time to actually think about adding the things to the MSI this
approach seemed, well, insane. I have no desire to recreate what the <File>,
<Directory>, and <Component> elements do in code.

My new alternate approach is to do this via a custom MSBuild task that runs
before Candle and generates a WiX file that then gets added to the list of
things to compile.

Anyone have any other suggestions for good ways to automate this?

Thanks,

Neil

* Don't ask why we have this structure and why they are loose files. It's a
very long story best told over a frosty beverage.