In this case, you might want to consider authoring a patch which targets both
product's MSIs?  (instead of trying to use a single MSI to update [what are
essentially] multiple SKUs)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thomas Singer
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 2:32 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Keep optional directory on upgrade

Hi John,

Thank you for the idea!

> Out of total curiosity though, if the user is upgrading to the application
> that shouldn't contain the JRE, why does the JRE need to hang around?
> (Especially since, if you uninstall the installation w/JRE through ARP you
> expect the JRE to be uninstalled?)

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If the user first installs the initial
installer WITH JRE, it has to be installed of course. Otherwise he would
have been able to download the smaller installer package without JRE.

If we now release a bug fix, he should be able to install the installer
package without the JRE to keep his already installed JRE (and to safe us
band-width).

First installation:
- Always install the JRE if it is contained in the installer package.

Update installation on top:
- If installing the bundle with JRE, the previously installed JRE should be
replaced.
- If installing the bundle without JRE, the previously installed JRE should
be kept.

Uninstallation:
- The JRE should be uninstalled if it was installed.

--
Tom