I can't really answer intelligently to question #1, as to question #2, I'll
do my best.

Heat is really built for initial import functionality, not continual
maintenance.  You do not want your GUIDs changing on your components with
each build, it will turn upgrades into a nightmare, and will make patching
just about impossible, IMO.   The "suggested" method, is to use heat.exe to
build your .wxs up front, then manually maintain the .wxs file as part of
your development process from there on out.   If someone adds an artifact to
a project in a future version, they need to add it to the installer
definition as well.

If you have the ability to go pure Wix with your installers, then you can
break this into manageable chunks using a .wixlib project for each major
subsystem, and having one parent .msi project link them all together.  This
is similar, but superior, to building .msm files and importing those in.
If your "parent" project is not Wix, then you're stuck in the same boat I
am, building .msm's.

Either way you're stuck making manual changes to the .wxs files to keep them
in sync with your project's outputs and required support files.  I *really*
wish this wasn't the case, as the whole point of using an IDE (for me) is to
manage all the grunt work like that, but there are some pretty substantial
complexities making it a pretty large undertaking that the team just hasn't
gotten to yet.

Chris