> 1.  How do you manage updates to the "database" in source
> control?  Do people update the file before building or does
> the build machine checkout/checkin automatically?  If the
> latter, what source control systems does it support... (you
> can see where I'm going <smile/>)?

We use cvsnt as our source control system, and my build/release script
does an update before building. The custom build task currently just
generates a build warning if it's had to update the database, and that's
my cue to commit the file back into CVS. There's probably nothing
stopping me from making the commit automatic, but it means I can keep an
eye on what is going on.

> 2.  How is this better than using auto-generated-stable Guids?

It's probably not. I'm not sure heat had that functionality when I
implemented what I have implemented, and I wasn't aware that
auto-generated GUIDs were possible.

It's worth noting that I only use this method for parts of the installer
where there are collections of simple files that need installing, with
no other resources. These files are changed by other people on the team,
sometimes people who are not developers, and so it makes my life easy to
harvest them. I've got it working well enough for our environment and
the constraints we operate under; it may not work so well for others.
For example, I also have build tasks that generate wxs fragments for VB6
COM controls, stripping out some of the needless stuff that VB puts in
the registry, which is duplicated across all controls, again using a
similar scheme to store GUID state.

Regards,
John