I copied the FileId from the File's ID into the binder variable.  Then I
double checked the spelling, then I triple checked it.   That was my first
big theory.
Just to help out, here's the pertinent pieces...

<Component Id="VisibilitySnapIn.dll"
Guid="{B813CED8-CDA2-44CC-B809-116A987789F9}">
    <File Id="VisibilitySnapIn.dll" KeyPath="yes" Source="$(var.Visibility
Monitor MMC SnapIn.TargetDir)VisibilitySnapIn.dll" Assembly=".net"
AssemblyApplication="VisibilitySnapIn.dll" />
</Component>

<RegistryValue Root="HKLM"
Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{244B7462-C89A-427e-8D1B-CF4E37878699}"
Name="Type" Value="VisibilitySnapIn.VisibilitySnapIn,
!(bind.assemblyFullName.VisibilitySnapIn.dll)" Type="string" Action="write"
/>

Any ideas?

Chris