I have tried both CreateProperty and PropertyGroup, and neither seem
to work.  I have placed mine inside Project element inside the
TFSBuild.proj file which looks like this

  <PropertyGroup>
    <TestProp>TestString</TestProp>
  </PropertyGroup>

  <PropertyGroup>
    <DefineConstants>Test=$(TestProp)</DefineConstants>
  </PropertyGroup>

So based off my understanding, the DefineConstants should be totally
replaced using the above code, but when checking the build log, it has
all the defines that have been specified using votive.

Any ideas?