Hi.

I am trying to use a merge module to define an exe that I will then
reference from several wix projects. The merge module definition is below.

I then make the modificaitons to my wix project as specified below.

Ultimately I simply want to have the executable copied to the install
direction and run with the given parameters in each of my wix projects. One
parameter being variable and the other always being the DBNAME(which i give
as a command line parm argument).

I am wondering if I am using merge module correctly? Also wondering if I am
using custom action correctly and if someone could point me to a good
example of doing this or help me repair my error below. I am having a
difficult time going to through the wix documentation to understand the
various Custom Action Types.

Currently my wix project compiles, however I get the following error when
running the installer:
"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Thanks.

Wix File Changes:

<Merge Id ="RouteGeneratorModule" Language="1033" SourceFile='
$(var.RouteGenerator.TargetDir)RouteGenerator.msm' DiskId='1' />

</Directory>

<CustomAction Id="CA1" Property="MyParam1 [DBNAME]"

Value="RouteGenerator.exe" />

<InstallExecuteSequence>

<Custom Action="CA1" After="InstallFinalize" />

</InstallExecuteSequence>

<Feature Id="ProductFeature" Title="Foo" Level="1">

<MergeRef Id="RouteGeneratorModule" />

<ComponentRef Id="FooId" />

</Feature>

Merge Module:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";>

<Module Id="RouteGenerator" Language="1033" Version="1.0.0.0">

<Package Id="bbd7e4db-dd7a-45b8-a9e9-78de83856d73" Manufacturer="
RouteGenerator" InstallerVersion="200" />

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

<Directory Id="MergeRedirectFolder">

<Component Id="ModuleComponent" Guid="3D12166D-F85B-4f32-8E60-DFD9B8A117DE">

<File Id="RouteGenerator" Source="
$(var.RouteGenerator.TargetDir)RouteGenerator.exe" />

</Component>

</Directory>

</Directory>

</Module>