No problems.

Custom Actions can come in many flavors, and some people use embedded
VBScript to grab up the SQL Server info.  IMO, that's not the best
solution.

You will want to make a standard Wix UI for the DB selection, and fire
custom actions from there.  The WiX 2.0 info is still pretty appropriate for
how to tie events and CAs together, so any examples you find should work.

Chris