From: Shawn Dwyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:52 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Patching fails with 1627

Hi,

I'm running into what seems to be a common error on the mailing list,
but
none of the solutions so far have worked for me.

I have 3 basic test patches:
RTM: installs file1
Patch1: targets rtm, updates launch condition of RTM
Patch2: targets Patch1, updates file1 and installs directory2\file2
Patch3: targets Patch 2, updates file1 and installs directory3\file3
(doesn't touch file2)

Using Wix 2.0.5325.0 and MsiMsp 4.0 I am able to successfully create
Patch1.msp and Patch2.msp, but running MisMsp on Patch3.pcp gives the
error:

  INFO: Phase V: Entering Generate MSP.
  INFO:    Generating Patch Metadata.
  ERROR: Internal PatchWiz Error occurred.
  ERROR:  The Last Error Received is: 1627
  ERROR:  The Last Error Received is: 1: 2213 2:

I've ensured the MediaDiskId field is not blank (RTM Media Id=1, Patch1
Family DiskId=10, Patch2 Family DiskId=20, Patch3 Family DiskId=30) (all
patches are in the same family)
I've ensured the SequenceStart does not overlap (P1=1000, P2=2000,
P3=3000)
I've tried pointing MsiFileToUseToCreatePatchTables to the RTM.msi, and
tried each of the other patch msi's just in case.

Has anyone else run into this error that turned out to be a different
problem/solution than below?

Thanks,

Shawn