Good to know! Hopefully WiX compiler can catch these errors in the
future.

What you described looked very similar to my past experience but,
checking the old forum posts I see that it caused a different error:
1328.

Basically I had a case like:

RTM.msi   Update1.msi  Update2.msi ... etc.

My first patch targeted RTM.msi with update Update1.msi
My second patch targeted Update1.msi with update Update2.msi. Note that
I haven't targeted RTM.msi in the second patch.

In this way I was producing patches that had only a preceding build as
the target and patching worked until the third patch application.

Why would one patch in this way? Well, patches between two consecutive
update builds are noticeably smaller that the patches that target also
the base RTM build.

Not finding any good explanation of this error I eventually gave up on
this approach and now I always target RTM.