From: Bryan Turner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:00
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Moving from InstallShield 12 to wix

Rob,

I am using one component for a group of files, not all my files.  For example,
non-versioned files like samples that are all grouped into the same directory
(and therefore the same component) should be safely grouped in one component, I
believe.

Regarding the embed cab, it does not work for me, I simply get this warning:
warning LGHT1079 : The cabinet 'product.cab' does not contain any files.  If
this installation contains no files, this warning can likely be safely ignored.
 Otherwise, please addfiles to the cabinet or remove it.

Here is the email I sent on this earlier, although I never did see it hit the
message board (probably user error)...
Hello, I think I am missing something obvious....

I am using Wix 3.0.4429.  In my .wxs file, I have the following elements:

        <Media Id='1' Cabinet='product.cab' EmbedCab='yes' />

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
                <Directory Id="MyDir" Name="MyDir">
                    <Directory Id="MySubDir" Name="MySubDir"
ShortName="MYSUBDIR">
                        <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR">
                          <Merge Id='Core' Language='1033'
SourceFile='Core.msm' DiskId='1' />
                        </Directory>

  <Feature Id="Core" Absent="disallow" AllowAdvertise="no"
ConfigurableDirectory="INSTALLDIR" Description="Core" Level="1" Title="Core
Files" >
          <MergeRef Id=" Core" />
        </Feature>

When I link with Light, I get this warning, and my files are not compressed
into an internal cab inside the .msi, but are instead uncompressed next to the
.msi

light.exe Core.wixobj -out Core.msi -nologo
Core.wxs(24) : warning LGHT1079 : The cabinet 'product.cab' does not contain
any files.  If this installation contains no files, this warning can likely be
safely ignored.  Otherwise, please addfiles to the cabinet or remove it.

If anyone can see the obvious, please let me know.