Ahh, the built-in Windows Installer search functionality don't work that way.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:29
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Reevaluating Dependent Properties

Hi Rob,Hi All, I realize I can use the SetProperty CustomAction sets the value
of MYDATAFILE to specifically [MYDIR]\myData.txt.  However, I want the
installer to go through the property evaluation logic already defined in the
definition of MYDATAFILE.    <Property Id='MYDATAFILE'>        <DirectorySearch
Id='SearchMyDir' Path='[MYDIR]'>            <FileSearch Id='FindMyDataFile1'
Name='myData1.txt' />        </DirectorySearch>        <DirectorySearch
Id='SearchMyDir' Path='[MYDIR]'>            <FileSearch Id='FindMyDataFile2'
Name='myData2.txt' />        </DirectorySearch>        <DirectorySearch
Id='SearchMyDir' Path='[MYDIR]'>            <FileSearch Id='FindMyDataFile3'
Name='myData3.txt' />        </DirectorySearch>        ...    </Property> I
want the installer to search for a file in a directory specified by the user.
I know the list of possible filenames but not its directory location.  There
are no registry entries that stored the location, so I have to resort to the
  user specifying the directory. Thanks again, Primo  -----Original
Message-----Re: [WiX-users] Reevaluating Dependent PropertiesFrom: Rob
Mensching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - 2008-11-05 17:19  SetProperty CustomAction to
reassign a Property with the new values?  -----Original Message-----From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Wednesday, November 05, 2008
06:28To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [WiX-users] Reevaluating Dependent Properties Hi
All,Is it possible to reevaluate dependent properties in WiX? I am using WiX
3.0.3907.0.I have a property MYDIR that uses RegistrySearch to get an initial
default value.    <Property Id='MYDIR'>        <RegistrySearch ... />
</Property>The dependent property MYDATAFILE uses the value of MYDIR.
<Property Id='MYDATAFILE'>        <DirectorySearch Id='SearchMyDir'
Path='[MYDIR]'>            <FileSearch Id='FindMyDataFile' Name='myData.txt' />
       </DirectorySearch>    </Property>The above works fine if it finds the m
 yData.txt file in the directory specified in theregistry search for MYDIR.My
problem occurs when the user changes the MYDIR value through the WiXUI dialog
boxesprovided by my installer.The MYDIR property is attached to another
property so that I can use it in the WiXUI dialogboxes.    <Property
Id='WIXUI_MYDIR' Value='MYDIR'/>In one of my WiXUI dialogs, I allow the user to
select a different directory for MYDIR    <Control Id='MyDir_Browse'
Type='PushButton' ... >        <Publish Event='SpawnDialog'
Value='BrowseDlg'>1</Publish>        <Publish Property='_BrowseProperty'
Value='[WIXUI_MYDIR]'>1</Publish>     </Control>The above works and I see the
value of MYDIR change to what the user selected. However, Icould not figure out
a way to get MYDATAFILE to get reevaluated after MYDIR changes. Cansomeone tell
me how to force MYDATAFILE to get reevaluated?Thanks in advance for any