I realize this is late, but to answer my own question (and for
posterity) my code had

InstallerVersion='100' in the product element. Setting it to '200' did
the trick. There is apparently no such plastform as 'x64' under 1.00.  I
got clued in by using Orca->View->Summary Information on the MSI in
question, and found that the available platforms were not what I expected.