From: Adam Langley [mailto:alang...@winscribe.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:13
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] run custom action on rollback from failure to commit

Thanks Rob,

I do handle uninstall, but not uninstall-rollback (that will be next on the
list).

So do I want something like this?

(I assume that you are referring to the installation action as the "execution
action", which in my case is "InstallFFDShow")

<CustomAction Id="InstallFFDShow" BinaryKey="ffdshow.exe"
ExeCommand="/VERYSILENT /loadinf=&quot;ffdshow.inf&quot;" Execute="deferred"
Impersonate="no" HideTarget="no" />
<CustomAction Id="RollbackInstallFFDShow" Property="FFDSHOWUNINSTALLPATH"
Execute="rollback"  ExeCommand="/VERYSILENT" Impersonate="no" HideTarget="no" />
<CustomAction Id="UninstallFFDShow" Property="FFDSHOWUNINSTALLPATH"
Execute="deferred"  ExeCommand="/VERYSILENT" Impersonate="no" HideTarget="no" />

<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="InstallFFDShow" After="InstallFiles"><![CDATA[
$ProductComponent > 2 ]]></Custom>
      <Custom Action="RollbackInstallFFDShow" Before=" InstallFFDShow
"><![CDATA[ $ProductComponent > 2 ]]></Custom>
      <Custom Action="UninstallFFDShow"
Before="InstallFinalize">FFDSHOWUNINSTALLPATH AND <![CDATA[ $ProductComponent =
2 ]]></Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>

My 'condition' for install-rollback is the same as for my install action, I
assume that is correct, that when an install is rolled back the component still
has the same install-status (>2)?

Thanks

Adam Langley
Senior Developer
Tel: +64 9 486 9010
alang...@winscribe.com
www.winscribe.com

scheduled *before* the execution action.  Also, make sure your condition on
your rollback action is correct.

Also, do you handle uninstall and uninstall rollback?

I have a vustom action which installs some 3rd party tools...

<CustomAction Id="InstallFFDShow" BinaryKey="ffdshow.exe"
ExeCommand="/VERYSILENT /loadinf=&quot;ffdshow.inf&quot;"
Execute="deferred" Impersonate="no" HideTarget="no" />
<CustomAction Id="UninstallFFDShow" Property="FFDSHOWUNINSTALLPATH"
Execute="deferred"  ExeCommand="/VERYSILENT" Impersonate="no"
HideTarget="no" />

<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="InstallFFDShow" After="InstallFiles"><![CDATA[
$ProductComponent > 2 ]]></Custom>
      <Custom Action="UninstallFFDShow"
Before="InstallFinalize">FFDSHOWUNINSTALLPATH AND <![CDATA[
$ProductComponent = 2 ]]></Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>

This works well, on install it runs the ffdshow.exe, and on uninstall it
runs the ffdshow uninstaller (FFDSHOWUNINSTALLPATH is an exe located via
the registry).

My question is:

How do I get the "UninstallFFDShow" to run during rollback?
Currently, if there is an exception causing a failure to commit (such as
is simulated by the FailInstallFromCommitCustomAction.msm), there is
nothing to run the ffdshow uninstaller.

What do I put in to do this?

I tried adding another <Custom> tag, which ran After="RemoveFiles", but
this did nothing...

Can anyone give me an example?

Thanks

Adam