From: Colin Fox [mailto:greenene...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 09:52
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Getting the version from the Assembly file

Ok, I've tried this but I can't determine where this is supposed to go. I
can't find any complete examples that actually use this.

Here's what I tried, which doesn't work:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
xmlns:netfx="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/NetFxExtension";>
    <Product Id="11732b0c-41a8-483b-8a99-a2a1afece53c"
        Name="My Deluxe Program"
        Language="1033"
        Version="!(bind.assemblyFileVersion.myProgramEXE)"
        Manufacturer="My Software Corp"
        UpgradeCode="ba6c6a55-3a6c-4080-b77a-92aa0efbc67d">
        <Package InstallerVersion="200" Compressed="yes" />

This is in my product.wxs file. When I try to build the solution, I get
"Unresolved bind-time variable".

If this isn't where the bind.assemblyFileVersion is supposed to go, where is
it?

Thanks,
   Colin

ps. I also tried using a $(var.ProductVersion) here and in the .wixproj
saying ProductVersion=!(bind.assemblyFileVersion...) and it didn't work
either.

also - what does the ! character represent? Doesn't that usually mean "not"?

Regards,
 cf