>> 2.  My understanding of the .NET Framework documentation does not
recommend setting the "fileVersion" in the assembly identity.  They
recommend SxS semantics by upgrading the assembly's "version" only.

Apologies for going off topic but... I think this is true but rarely
practical, in reality you often need to upgrade in place and policy
redirects don't help - they are only really useful for redirection
between major versions. If you take a look in the GAC I think you will
find that 90% of what Microsoft ships has different file and assembly
versions.

Neil

Neil Sleightholm
X2 Systems Limited