cheers rob,
got it sorted in the end
FYI this is my custom protocol handler:

 <RegistryKey Id="regCaseFlowKey" Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"
Key="nameofmyprotocol" Root="HKCR">
              <RegistryValue Id="DefaultValue" Action="write" Value="URL:my
custom protocoll" Type="string" />
              <RegistryValue Id="uriProtocol" Action="write" Name="URL
Protocol" Value="" Type="string" />
              <RegistryKey Id="DefaultIcon"
Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall" Key="DefaultIcon" >
                <RegistryValue Id="DefaultIconValue" Action="write"
Value="myLauncher.exe" Type="string" />
              </RegistryKey>
              <RegistryKey Id="regShell" Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"
Key="shell" >
                <RegistryKey Id="regShellOpen"
Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall" Key="open" >
                  <RegistryKey Id="regShellOpenCommand"
Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall" Key="command">
                    <RegistryValue Id="DefaultPathValue" Action="write"
Value='"[INSTALLLOCATION]myLauncher.exe" "%1"' Type="string" />
                  </RegistryKey>
                </RegistryKey>
              </RegistryKey>
            </RegistryKey>