Pardon a lurker.

I only know enough to be dangerous on a *nix box.  Seems to me, though,
that if you are shipping your product via what sounds like conventional
*nix ./make ./configure and you want to get the same sort of flavor on a
Windows box then WiX isn't what you want.  MSBuild is closer to your
expected process.  That would mean maintaining distinct build system, so
it wouldn't work for you.

I all you really want to do is build a folder and copy it to a target
system, and nothing else, then MSI seems a bit over-engineered.  I don't
see where you have versioning issues, or are expecting to patch, or do
minor upgrades, or are too concerned with what's in the GAC, or are
looking for a presence in the Add/Remove Programs box.  There's nothing
wrong with a zip.  Some of the best tools I have on my box were deployed
from a .zip file.  You could even go one step further and turn the zip
into a self-extracting executable that allows a choice of target
directory and launches whatever configurator you have at the end of the
unzipping.

And if you really need the MSI to do this because you need to keep track
of the version of the folder that you deployed, or there is some
compelling business reason (like it looks cool) then could you hide your
zip in an MSI with the one sole custom action of unzipping?

(Back to lurking)