Why not write a custom action?   Creating a custom table and a custom action to
replace  LaunchConditions isn't that difficult or fragile.  After all, you
won't be doing any configuration changes or reading system data  so there's no
need to worry about permissions, context, rollback, commit ectera.   It's
pretty much a walk in the park; particularly if you can use an SDK like DTF to
write it.

Here's a link to an article I wrote a few years ago on this subject.

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2006/07/short-comings-of-launchconditions.html

Christopher Painter, Author of Deployment Engineering Blog
Have a hot tip, know a secret or read a really good thread that deserves
attention? E-Mail Me