Don Benson wrote:

>> I also do Major upgrades *all* the time.  We have a large COM, COM+,
>> VB6
>> application and I don't dare play games with COM+ registries as I value
>> my
>> time too much :P  It's a requirement for us developers to move back and
>> forth along the versions and I want to force uninstall our product
>> regardless what version is installed.
>>
>> 1.  I remove the product after InstallFinalize.  This has worked for me
>> for
>> about 2 years now using WiX 2.0 and 3.0.
>>
>> <InstallExecuteSequence>
>>             <RemoveExistingProducts
>> After="InstallFinalize"><![CDATA[PREVIOUSVERSIONFOUND]]><RemoveExisting
>> Products>
>> </InstallExecuteSequence>
>>

> Are you using the ComPlus extension to manage the COM+ application(s). I
> have a similar line, except I am not putting a condition on the
> RemoveExistingProducts action.
>
> Sincerely,
> - Don Benson -

Unfortunately not.  We simply (and this was done before my time) export
through the windows api.  So from the COM+ catalog (i think that's the
official name for dcomcnfg) after the COM+ are installed, we export and the
MSI is produced.  I personally don't like it as that export function doesn't
produce the most robust MSI.  However, it's very hard to justify rewriting
what works, especially when there's 300+ COM plus DLLs.

The part where we use WiX is for the client side app.  We maintain the same
GUID for every component in the .wxs file (UI DLL, ActiveX, EXEs,
etc..there's about 130 something), and then "harvest" the DLLs using heat
and use an XSLT to inject the harvested registry keys into our wxs file.
The XSLT cleans up the harvest by removing any registry keys that are
redundant.

Sorry to go off topic, but yeah, try that condition and see how it changes
the behaviour.  My setup worked on XP and Vista.  Not sure what OS you're
using.