It's just a normal WixExtension.   I have a compiler and decompiler
extension in the project.   All it does is turn some xml elements into table
entries, etc.

Here's what makes it tough for me to track down, whenever I try running this
through candle in the debugger, it works fine.   If I step through, it
*always* passes the load just fine.
This problem is absolutely enraging.

I will send you an archive of the entire solution, so you can see if I'm
doing anything stupendously stupid.

I believe I am using version 3.0.4917.0...   I know it's a little old now,
but I have trouble getting new software on the build server, so it's more
expedient to keep the older edition.   This problem persisted through
several different versions.